Current Exhibitions

Love, Andy: Highlights from the Andy Warhol Museum
November 19, 2015 - February 7, 2016

Pop master Andy Warhol's paintings, drawings and photographs from the 1950's-1980's showcase everything he loved. This exhibition is organized by The Andy Warhol Museum, one of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh.

Albrecht Dürer & Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn: The Veneration of the Christ
September 20 - November 29, 2015

The works included in The Veneration of the Christ are drawn from the collection of Dr. Dorrance Kelly. Dr. Kelly has assembled one of Fairfield County’s most distinguished private collections of prints, among them the splendid engravings and woodcuts by the peerless German printmaker, Albrecht Dürer, and the creative and experimental etchings by Dutch master, Rembrandt van Rijn. This presentation of more than 50 etchings provides an opportunity to view the religious works of these great masters side by side and consider the historical contexts, religious backgrounds, and aesthetic approaches of each.

What Crisis?
November 1 - November 29, 2015

Inspired by his travels to the glaciers and ice beaches of Iceland, Henry Richardson has created a series of ethereal and brilliantly colored chiseled glass sculptures. In parallel, photographs by Alexander Lembke (Germany) and Samantha Font-Sala (France) showing two different perspectives about the climate crisis will be exhibited. From critical to poetic, between reality and allegoric, the three artists invite you to consider the human influence on climate cycles.

Judith Kruger: An Alchemic View
EXTENDED to January 3, 2016

Expanding on the traditional process of Nihonga, a Japanese style of painting in which the pigments are derived from nature, Judith Kruger pushes the medium into abstraction. In paintings, drawings and mono-prints, this exhibition explores the world around us. Though they are not particular depictions of landscape, the work is, nonetheless, about the world around us.

A Wonderland of Snow: The Life and Music of Leroy Anderson
November 19, 2015 - February 7, 2016

Leroy Anderson was a composer of orchestral songs without words that have permeated the American culture. Using music, photographs, archives and other memorabilia, this exhibition explores the career of the man whose music has become a part of our everyday life.

The Great Flood of ‘55

Using more than 50 images this exhibition examines the disaster that still ranks as the worst to engulf the Naugatuck Valley. This pictorial documentary will wrap around the staircase walls between the Museum’s First and Second Floor galleries and includes photographs of the flood’s aftermath.

This exhibition is a collaboration between the Republican-American and the Mattatuck Museum to mark the 60th anniversary of the Flood of 1955. It is sponsored by the Republican-American using photographic images from their archives.

Operating with support from

©2010 - The Mattatuck Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
144 West Main Street, Waterbury, CT 06702 - Tel. (203) 753-0381
Web Site by RP Design Web Services
Follow Us: